Dharma Zephyr began in 1990 when five people realized they wanted to give and receive support for their meditation practices. It has grown to include many sitting groups in Carson City, Reno and Minden, and a schedule of day-long and residential retreats. Classes in meditation are sometimes offered, and social events are organized.
All of this happens because people who value what we offer step up and help. There are many ways we all can get involved to help this precious gift continue to be offered to the community. And what’s truly wonderful is how much joy and satisfaction comes when we participate.
Please do join us! There are three main ways—attend our events, volunteer, and donate.
Attend our events:
- Day-long and residential retreats:
Your meditation practice will deepen. Your wisdom
will grow. You’ll meet other dedicated practitioners. You’ll have the joy of supporting our wonderful teachers who travel from afar to share the dharma with us without charging us a dime. There are small, satisfying tasks you can volunteer for like making lunch for the teacher, bringing flowers, setting up, etc.
- Ongoing sitting groups:
There are sitting groups in Reno, Carson City and Minden which are listed individually under Sitting Groups. “Sitting” is short-hand for meditation. Each group has its own culture, but every group has a meditation period, which varies in length. Most groups also read Buddhist books or articles, listen to audio talks by teachers, discuss the retreats they may have attended, and provide support to each other for practice. All groups are encouraged to regularly recite and discuss some version of the precepts for ethical behavior and to include some kind of loving kindness practice. No registration is necessary and there is no charge to attend a sitting group. Donations are gratefully accepted.
- Programs and classes:
As inspiration arises, we offer programs such as movie nights, potlucks, action groups, and hikes, as well as classes and small groups in meditation and Buddhism. Subscribe to our email notification list to be informed of these activities.
Earth Care Group at Dharma Zephyr
Dharma Zephyr’s Earth Care group, facilitated by Anne Macquarie, meets to study and contemplate Buddhist insights into the root causes of the climate crisis and other environmental challenges. We are also exploring ways to work together and support each other in taking action on these issues. After our first three meetings, we have decided to continue meeting indefinitely. Our activities will be determined by consensus, but might include forming or taking part in a local Citizen Climate Action group, “Mountain Meadow” half-day retreats in our local mountains, and more.
Why? “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
Last year Dharma teachers worldwide drafted and signed a statement entitled The Earth as Witness: International Dharma Teachers’ Statement on Climate Change describing core Buddhist insights into the root causes of the climate crisis and ways to minimize its potentially tragic consequences.
The Earth Care group is open to all.
If you’re interested, please [email-obfuscate email=”Anne@DharmaZephyr.org” link_title=”contact Anne”].
- Help make our day-long retreats happen: Join our Retreat Committee to plan our “retreat season.” Manage a day-long. We have an easy-to-follow protocol. You’ll get support and will enjoy the contact with the group, the teacher, and the satisfaction of enabling Dharma Zephyr to continue to host our amazing teachers! Contact Karen at [email-obfuscate email=”email@example.com” link_title=”firstname.lastname@example.org”].
- Attend Board meetings to offer your experience and insight. They are announced via our email list; for more information contact our Board President: [email-obfuscate email=”Chas@DharmaZephyr.org” link_title=”Chas@DharmaZephyr.org”]
- Help get the word out about our activities. We need volunteers in all our communities to post paper fliers around town, enter events into local media calendars, post to Facebook, and teach us new ways to reach interested people. We also are looking for someone to oversee these efforts. Contact [email-obfuscate email=”Kathy@DharmaZephyr.org” link_title=”Kathy@DharmaZephyr.org”].
- Join our Social Events committee or start one with your local sitting group. Have you noticed how much fun dharma practitioners can be? Contact Jeff to join or for ideas: [email-obfuscate email=”email@example.com” link_title=”firstname.lastname@example.org”]
Since the teachings are considered priceless and should be accessible to everyone, we do not charge for our activities. (The exception is for residential retreats: we pass along the charge for room and board, but all management and teaching is offered freely.) In the Buddha’s teaching, generosity is a foundational practice for opening the heart. The teaching is that we would not let a single day go by without giving if we truly understood its power. We offer this opportunity for opening heart and mind along with the events we sponsor.
We appreciate donations to help us continue our extensive schedule of activities. We also have a scholarship fund to help practitioners attend a retreat who cannot afford the room and board.
DZIMC is a Nevada Non-Profit. However, DZIMC is not a federal 501C3. Please check with your tax professional regarding income tax deductions.
Donations may be mailed to
PO Box 4401
Carson City, NV 89702.
Please make checks payable to DZIMC.